So lately Days has been getting harder and harder to watch. Ratings seem to reflect my hesitations in watching since Days hit a really drastic low number of 1.8. Many said it’s due to the U. S. Open winding down for last week. However, given the other soaps didn’t experience such a drastic drop (other than maybe Guiding Light), I think the problem is people preferred to watch anything else. What is wrong with Days right now?
Couples that just don’t work: Lately Days has been pushing Chelsea/Daniel and Stax (Stephanie/Max). Stax has been a couple for a long time now though recently given their due full blown love scene (and one today). However, I never could get into them. I could get past the uncle dating and initially I saw a little chemistry between them, but really it came down to the fact that Max Brady and Stephanie Johnson are too much alike to pull off a story long term. Now that they are established as a “happy” couple, we must have something to cause tension and conflict so let’s meet MadMax. Darin Brooks has recently been nominated for an Emmy so obviously some people like him as an actor. I am not one of them. I find him average, he’s not a bad actor like Brandon Beemer or Marcus Patrick, and he can do comedy fairly well. However, he doesn’t have the acting range to do this story justice. He just comes across looking like a whiner who for some reason has hidden a buried genius brain from his friends and family all this time and gets angry if anyone mentions it. It’s not all him of course, the writing is also at fault, watching day in and out (and I do mean day in and out, how many days have we had of them straight?) Stephanie and to some extent Nick, constantly question him over and over felt as much fun as heading to the dentist for root canals. Before this story I was indifferent to Max Brady and the coupling of Stax, but now I have grown to loathe them and wish with the show’s newfound skills of chemistry testing, they would attempt to really give Stephanie and Nick a try.
The other bad bad pairing is Chelsea and Daniel. So many reasons why this couple is not working. I know there are some fans out there, but given the short time the couple has known each other it’s safe to say Days would be better off with just cutting its losses and ending this couple ASAP. My reasons for loathing them:
1. All the makeup and new haircuts in the world can’t make Rachel Melvin look old enough to be kissing a man who not only looks like he is forty-something but who looks too much like her on screen father. It didn’t help matters their initial kiss scene was when RM was missing makeup and she looked like she was twelve.
2. The outrageous indifference to the character of Nick. This should have been TPTB first thing to do was break up Chick before having the geeky underdog’s girlfriend become smitten with a man she hardly knows. In soapland, a character having a current boyfriend should be an obstacle but for some reason Nick wasn’t one at all. No one would mention him, least of all Chelsea. Many people who shipped Chick did so because they loved Nick Fallon. Watching him be pushed aside like he’s a dishrag that needs to be tossed out with the trash was heartbreaking to say the least.
3. They are already in love. Chelsea actually was smitten first and straight from the beginning. Why Days does this I don’t know, the falling in love process is the most important step in a couple on any soap. That’s why many never cared for Chick, their courtship was rushed. Now Chan has leapfrogged over that stage and gone directly to “I’m in love with you” from both sides. Basically Chelsea meets Daniel and is instantly attracted, then finds out he’s going to be her dying dad’s doctor. Her emotion for him is a mixture of hero worship and a daddy complex. On Daniel’s side, it’s even more bizarre. I’m not sure what was happening, but until Chelsea landed in the hospital, it appeared this whole crush was one sided. Then suddenly Daniel has to remove himself from her case because he’s become too involved and many out there went “huh?” Chelsea Brady did a noble gesture of giving up a piece of her gland to save a loved one, but I can’t believe she is the only person who has committed such a selfless act (which honestly wasn’t so selfless.) And that’s all Daniel knows about her. Most of their conversations have revolved around him and his life. So I don’t know what he sees in her.
4. The propping of Daniel. I posted when he first arrived on canvas how Days doesn’t understand the art of propping. But I had no idea it would get this bad. Today Daniel has diagnosed Kate with an obscure medical condition that only a handful of known cases have been reported and corrected. Yet he figures it out simply by hearing Kate got a kick to the stomach (something she has deserved for a long time). We also know he’s so hot and sexy that almost every character has said so. (I think even Nick repeated hearing it at one point). His surfing skills are legendary, even Jawn Black has heard of them and he doesn’t know anything! He’s also an expert on greening up the world and making it a better place while he’s been labeled an angel by random day players who’s children were treated by him.
5. Where is the buildup? So far Chan have made out more than any other established couple we’ve had this year. What happened to building the first kiss? What happened to teasing the audience with ALMOST coming close to getting one but something interrupts? And if you see #1, there are other reasons why we shouldn’t be watching this couple make out like they are dogs in heat.
6. Chelsea Brady is all about Daniel. Chelsea has always been rather one sided but since her true redemption last year (not the pseudo one through Higley) Chelsea had learned to multi-task and help out her friends and family if needed. Now she’s pushing her school aside to chase Daniel, even begging her grandfather to get her a job at the hospital. It really proves how immature she is. It makes her look pathetic and desperate and that wasn’t how I saw Chelsea even last summer when she was making eyes at Jett Carver.
Green and saving the environment-Days has always had this need to give us a PSA, And I certainly am into the environment and think more public attention to it. Nick’s grant started off with an environmental flare and that is fine with me. But to preach to us for two weeks straight and then insisting they have certified all the mock restaurants in the show as green friendly is laughable and really quite hypocritical. A TV show with all it’s lights, cameras, equipment, TVs, air controlled environments and fans (air, not viewers) probably use up more energy and resources than any standard small scale bar that the Brady Pub represents. I could go more on this subject, but my pal, Nolebucgrl already spoke eloquently enough on her own blog. I’ll just add that the show needs to work on saving itself, not the world.
So what is good about Days? Well, here I am going to talk about a couple that I do think are working. Philip and Morgan. Now they could be just teasing us, it’s easy for them to stop where they are and pair Philip up full time with Chloe or Nicole. But I am excited and curious to see where this goes, mainly because the story telling is hitting all the right notes. After bashing Chan above, let’s compare them to Phorgan who have known each other in about the same time frame. Here we have a couple who upon meeting didn’t fall all over each other to meet again. Or talk about each other to anyone who would listen. Attraction was only slightly evident at first. As time went on, plot contrivances (which are a soap staple) pushed them into each other’s company and we saw them learning more about each other. Morgan is young and in a sorority which probably gave Philip a false impression of her. He’s come to become impressed with her intelligence, her passion and her sense of family loyalty (very important in the Kiriakis household). Now we have them getting closer but Days has laid the groundwork that Philip is behind Morgan’s father’s latest legal misteps more than John whom she has been blaming for a long time. Despite his attraction to her, Philip is more interested in using Morgan to keep tabs on Paul and get revenge on John. It’s not quite working that way and how far will the show go? The possibilities of the future angst are endless and I’m excited just thinking about it.
So here I am after watching a week’s worth of episodes and that’s all I could find really to devote my blog too. I am thankful Nick has been getting more screentime, though sadly it is to play secondary genius to MadMax’s extreme intelligence, so it’s hardly satisfying. Kayla was on today and she looked beautiful so I think I’ll just end this blog with a pic of her.